Yields 10 servings
My family begs me to make this recipe for every holiday throughout the year, especially Thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes are so delicious and so good for you! This recipe is super easy to prepare and tastes way more like a dessert than a side dish. And the pecan crumble topping is ridiculous! Give it a try and I promise it will become a favorite in your house too!
For the filling:
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 4-5 medium sized potatoes)
- ¼ cup organic coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 eggs beaten (preferably pasture-raised)
- ½ cup milk (I use unsweetened almond or coconut milk but you can use whatever you like)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted organic grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (use almond flour or other gluten-free flour to make gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup organic grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Roast sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 45-50 min or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, scoop inside of sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Combine with coconut sugar or maple syrup, eggs, milk, salt, butter and vanilla. Mix together and pour into a greased 13x9 inch-baking dish.
- To prepare the topping, in a separate bowl combine the coconut sugar, flour, melted butter or coconut oil and pecans. Mix together and crumble over sweet potato mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes.