This apple crisp is so delicious and a favorite with kids. It’s great for an afterschool snack and can also be eaten as a healthy breakfast!
- 5 Medium Tart Apples
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil or Ghee
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free Oats
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2-4 tablespoons Maple Syrup or Honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2-3 tablespoons Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
Prepare the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Core apples and cut into thin slices and place in bowl.
- Toss apples with cinnamon and nutmeg until thoroughly coated. Add maple syrup and coconut oil or ghee and toss to coat evenly.
- Place apple mixture into oiled pan and set aside.
Prepare the crumble topping:
- In a medium bowl combine the oats, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and almond milk and mix well until everything is completely coated and the consistency is slightly sticky. If it’s too liquidy, add a little more flour or oats to soak up the moisture. If it’s too dry, add a little more milk.
- Once the crumble is ready, sprinkle evenly over the apple filling
- Bake for 40-50 min, or until top is browned. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Try experimenting with this recipe by adding dried fruit, nuts, coconut flakes or whatever else you want!