I still can’t believe how similar zucchini noodles are in texture and taste to regular pasta! Packed with nutrients, minerals, amino acids and fiber, zucchini delivers countless advantages to the body to keep you healthy! This recipe was created one night when I was craving one of my all time favorites, spaghetti Bolognese. I wanted something hearty and healthy and the result was delizioso!
- 3 large or 4 medium sized zucchinis
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or dried)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 3 cups Rao’s marinara sauce
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Spiralize the zucchini into noodles and place between paper towels to squeeze excess water out.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss broccoli with 1-2 tablespoons of oil, season with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet in oven to roast for about 20-25 minutes until just starting to brown.
- In a large frying pan sauté sliced shitake mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil until soft, remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until all the pinkness is gone, breaking it up with a spoon, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add marinara sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and half the basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms and zucchini noodles to turkey meat sauce and toss to coat.
- Top with remaining basil, parmesan cheese (optional) and serve!