I love mushrooms! They’re so good for you and it’s almost impossible to become tired of them when there are so many varieties to choose from and so many ways to use them. One of my favorites is this rich, creamy, full of earthy flavor mushroom soup. This recipe is a slightly adapted version of Jamie Oliver’s and it’s just as delicious as it is healthy! I love to freeze leftovers in glass mason jars in serving sized portions for quick meals. You can view the original recipe here:
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1.5 lbs. mixed fresh mushrooms (I used shitake, portabella, oyster and white button)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 liters chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsweetened almond, cashew milk or any other milk you prefer
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Place porcini mushrooms in a bowl, add boiling water to cover and let soak.
- Heat a large 4 or 6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and fresh mushrooms. Stir mushrooms around quickly for about a minute and then add the onion, garlic, thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- After another couple of minutes, chop half the porcini mushrooms and leave the rest whole and add them to the pot. Then strain the soaking liquid to remove any grit and add it to the mixture. Cook for about 15 minutes until most of the moisture disappears.
- Season to taste by adding salt and pepper. Then add broth, bring to boil and simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. I like to puree about half and leave the rest whole.
- Add the parsley and milk and more salt and pepper if needed. Continue to simmer for at least another 10 minutes to let flavors combine.
- Finally, when serving, pour soup into individual bowls and spoon a about a half teaspoon of lemon juice and lemon zest into the middle of the soup. When you go to eat it, stir it in as it gives the soup a wonderful flavor.