Makes 4 servings
This version of brown rice pudding makes for a delicious and healthy treat. Rich and creamy and made with just 5 ingredients - no preservatives, artificial flavors and colors. Not only is this the perfect comfort food, but the brown rice also gives you the added benefits of fiber, selenium, manganese and anti-oxidants - all which help to prevent damage to your body! Not only will you love it, but even your kiddies will be so happy to have this treat as an after school snack!
- 1 cup organic short grain brown rice (cleaned, see below for instructions)
- 3 cups almond or other nut milk of choice + 1 another cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons organic coconut sugar
- Chopped walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, strawberries, blueberries or any other topping you like (optional)
- If you have the time, soak your rice in a container with double the amount of water for anywhere between 8-24 hours. Drain in a colander and then rinse under running water and drain again. Or for a fast wash you can put the rice into a pot and rinse well until the rinsing water runs clear.
- Next, bring 1 cup of rice, 3 cups of milk, coconut sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to a rolling boil.
- Turn to low, cover and let simmer until all liquid has absorbed which will take anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes.
- Finally add additional cup of milk, sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon and add toppings if desired!
- Store leftovers in glass containers (I like to use small glass mason jars) in the refrigerator.