When you’re craving Mac and Cheese but want to keep it healthy, try this deliciously decadent version of the ultimate comfort food. This recipe is the perfect combo of rich and creamy while having a whopping 14 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per serving. Made with super nutrient dense ingredients like cashew milk, cauliflower and green lentil pasta, and so simple to make, this is bound to become one of your favorites!
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 box Ancient Harvest POW! Green Lentil Penne
- Put raw cashews in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for at least 2 hours. Drain cashews and put in high-speed blender with 1 1/5 cups of water. Blend and Voila! – You just made cashew milk!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cauliflower with melted coconut or avocado oil, season generously with salt and pepper and roast until it starts to brown and soften, about 20-30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- Strain pasta but reserve 1 cup of cooking water and set it aside. Use the warm empty pot to mix together 1 cup cashew milk, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, ¼ tsp. each of salt and pepper, turmeric and chili powder.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and put it in the blender on low or food processor for 10 seconds to chop it and add it to the pot. You can also cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces with a knife.
- Put ¾ of the cauliflower in the pot and mix with the sauce. Leave the rest of the cauliflower to top the pasta with at the end.
- Add the strained pasta back to the pot. As you stir, slowly add about ¼ of the reserved cooking water to the pot. This will thicken the sauce. Keep adding the cooking water until it reaches a creamy consistency. Taste, add more salt or pepper if you desire.
- Plate the pasta and garnish with the roasted cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with hot red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!