This spicy shrimp recipe is a new winner in my house! It has a ton of flavor, is packed with good-for-you ingredients and couldn’t be easier to make! It’s delicious served over any type of pasta or I love tossing it with zucchini noodles for a heart-healthy, gluten-free dish!
For the pesto:
- 2 cups fresh Basil, rinsed and dried
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons Pine Nuts or Walnuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or more
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast (dairy-free option)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Shrimp and Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 lb. large Shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Red Pepper flakes
- 2 cups sliced Shitake Mushrooms
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- Chopped fresh Basil to garnish
- To make the pesto combine the basil, garlic, nuts, cheese (optional) or nutritional yeast (also optional) and about ¼ cup olive oil in a food processor or high-speed blender. Process, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides of the container. Continue to process and slowly add another ¼ cup of olive oil. Remove pesto from container and set aside.
- Heat large skilled on medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil – it should run without sizzling. Add shrimp, season with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, turning once midway, until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from skillet.
- In the same skillet add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add mushrooms and season with ¼ tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms release liquid and begin to get soft, for about a minute or two. Then add half of the chicken broth, cook for another 2 minutes and add back the cooked shrimp. Finally, add the rest of the chicken broth and ½ cup pesto. On medium heat, mix everything to combine and remove from heat.
- Serve over pasta or zoodles, topping the shrimp with chopped fresh basil.