This delicious seaweed salad is not only super easy to prepare and goes with just about anything, but is also highly nutritious. Hijiki, like many sea vegetables, contains a wide range of essential minerals for the body, as well as significant levels of dietary fiber, vitamin K, calcium, iron, magnesium and iodine. Try experimenting with this basic recipe by adding other ingredients or serve with soba noodles or rice to make a more complete meal!
- ½ cup dried hijiki seaweed
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup avocado cubed
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or rice vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Rinse hijiki to remove any sand. (if you don’t have a fine mesh strainer, just swirl it around in a bowl of water, then drain.
- Place hijiki in a bowl with 1 cup of water. Let soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat oil over low-medium heat. Add carrots and cook until softened.
- Drain hijiki and add it to saucepan with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, add avocado and toss to mix. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve warm or cold.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.