Quinoa is a wonderful substitute in this protein-packed, delicious "fried rice" dish. Quinoa beats rice with its impressively high fiber, protein and iron content as well as many other nutrients. This is an easy, all in one pan recipe that your whole family will love.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 12 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ head broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 6 tbsp. Coconut Aminos
- Toasted sesame oil for drizzling
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces peeled cooked shrimp
- Cook quinoa according to the package using the vegetable broth as the liquid. When quinoa is finished, set aside.
- Toss shrimp in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan or skillet (I love using my cast iron skillet for this dish) over medium/high heat.
- Add shrimp to the pan, spreading them out quickly in a single layer. Let them cook in the pan for about 30 seconds without moving them. Flip the shrimp over and let them cook on the other side for about another minute until they are mostly cooked through but not all the way. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over low heat. Add eggs and scramble quickly until mostly cooked but still a bit runny. Transfer them to the bowl with the cooked shrimp.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender.
- Add the peas and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through.
- Add the ginger and coconut aminos and toss to combine. Stir in green onions, eggs and shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle with toasted sesame oil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!