I love this seafood salad! It’s light and refreshing and can be served as a first course, or I like to make it a little more filling by adding some chopped avocado and enjoying it as a main dish. Calamari is one of my favorites – it’s very quick and easy to make but feel free to use shrimp, mussels or another seafood if you prefer. The flavors from all the herbs mixed with the sweetness from the jicama is so delicious!
- 1 lb. cleaned calamari, cut into rings and tentacles
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups white cooking wine
- 1 cup celery (including leaves), chopped
- 1 cup jicama, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 2-3 green onions/scallions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh ikura/salmon roe eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar or other vinegar you prefer
- 4 cloves garlic. minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Combine water and wine in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add calamari and cook/poach for 45-60 seconds, just until flesh turns opaque. Drain and cool and then combine with remaining salad ingredients.
- Whisk or blend dressing ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad gently with dressing.
- Top with salmon roe.
- Chill, if desired or serve immediately!