Bowls are a great go-to when you want to throw something together that’s quick, nourishing and delicious. I made this bowl for a meatless “Monday” night but it’s a great one to add another protein like eggs, wild salmon or any other protein you that like. This one has my favorites like wild mushrooms and Kobucha squash with a yummy sesame-ginger sauce that has just the right kick to it.
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee, olive oil or combination of all three
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 kobucha squash cut into moon shapes, skin on but seeds removed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups mixed wild mushrooms
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 avocados
- Lemon or lime wedges
Sesame Ginger Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. organic gluten-free tamari
- 2 tbsp. water
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ -1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼-1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add rinsed quinoa, 1 tsp. salt, and vegetable broth to a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, until liquid is dissolved.
- Arrange squash in a single layer on baking sheet. Coat both sides on squash with oil or ghee and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until starting to brown and caramelize, about 40 minutes, flipping with a spatula about halfway through.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan (I like to use my cast iron skillet) melt another tbsp. oil on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, sauté for a few minutes. Then add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Next add the cauliflower and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 min. Add a little bit of the sauce. Next, add broccoli and kale. Sauté everything for a few minutes, mixing well until combined and add the rest of the sauce to the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the bowl beginning with quinoa on the bottom. Top with vegetable mixture, squash and ¼-1/2 avocado.
- Add lime/lemon wedges to squeeze over bowl.
- Finally drizzle with sesame oil (optional) and enjoy!