Makes about 2 servings
Here’s to a healthy and delicious summer! This mouthwatering salad, full of protein and healthy fats is one of my absolute favorites! It’s also super easy, making it perfect for busy weeknights and it has never failed to get rave reviews!
- 1/2 cup black quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 16 ounces wild salmon (you can also use canned Alaskan Salmon)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cayenne chili, minced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 avocado sliced
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place rinsed quinoa in a saucepan with vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer and cover until liquid dissolves, about 15 minutes. When done let sit for a few minutes before fluffing with fork. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash salmon fillets and pat dry with paper towel. Drizzle salmon with just enough oil to coat with a pastry brush, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon on roasting pan or baking sheet and roast for 4-6 minutes per ½ inch thickness of salmon. Roasting time depends on the thickness of your salmon, as determined by the thickest part of the fillet. For every ½ inch of salmon, roast 4-6 minutes. 4 minutes will be slightly rare and 6 minutes will thoroughly cook it.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and chili and sauté until softened and starting to brown, about 7-8 min.
- Add spinach and quinoa to skillet. Then gently flake salmon and add to skillet. Finally add the avocado. Toss everything until combined well.
- Squeeze lemon over salad. Season with salt and pepper.