This is one of my go-to dinner (or lunch) recipes for a Monday meal after an indulgent weekend or on a night when there’s “nothing” in the house to eat. Quick, satisfying, loaded with anti-inflammatory foods and super easy to make!
- 1/4 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp coconut oil, ghee, olive oil or combination of all three
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 pasture raised egg
- ½ avocado sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add rinsed quinoa, 1/4 tsp. salt, and vegetable broth to a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, until liquid is dissolved.
- Fill saucepan about 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and let water relax into a brisk simmer. You should see bubbles but the water shouldn’t be rolling.
- Crack the egg into a small cup. Ease the egg into the water and cook for about 4 minutes. This will give you a firm white and a runny yolk. Cook a little longer if you like yolk firmer.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water.
- In a sauté pan, melt 1 tsp. oil or ghee on medium-high heat. Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for a few minutes until wilted.
- Assemble the bowl beginning with quinoa on the bottom. Top with kale, avocado and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil (optional) and enjoy!